Routing question -- multiple gateway setup?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 23 05:15:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, James Knott wrote:

> Given that you've got more than one connection, you'll have more than
> one IP address.  This means that the out going packets will have

Exactly.

> different addresses, which will mean they can't be part of the TCP

Yep.

> connection.  Also, with the two routes, how are the packets returning to

That's right.  The kernel alternates which interface connections go out
(with weighting as noted earlier).

> you, forwarded to the correct interface?

Packets coming back from remote hosts arrive at the right interfaces
because the original packets had different source addresses as you noted.

The problem seems to be that the kernel NAT code is/was not properly
iproute2 aware (although it is supposed to me) meaning that for a certain
percentage of packets it tries to conn_track it back through the wrong
interface and you get a really odd message in the logs (about the
interface being wrong :) .

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org