Routing question -- multiple gateway setup?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 23 05:08:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, William Park wrote:

> 1.  So, at any one time, there is only one default in your routing
>     table, right?

As I have it setup right now yes.  This is without the use of iproute2
because of the aforementioned NAT/iproute2 bug.

> 2.  How do you determine if primary route is down?  Do you ping, and if
>     no response, then change the default gateway entry in the routing
>     table?

Right now it just checks if the interface is up.  This has covered about
90% of outages in the 6 months I've been doing this.  I am planning to add
some upstream pings (using specific static routes to make sure it goes out
the interface I'm testing) when I get time.  I will have another look at
iproute2 later too.

By far the most common failure mode has been the primary (ADSL with static
address) failing causing the default route to fail-over to the secondary
(Cable with DHCP alliocated dynamic address).

My script sends emails to the users on link status changes.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org