bash 3.01

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 23 01:14:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, John Wildberger wrote:

> On Sunday 22 August 2004 06:22 pm, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>>
>>     You can copy /usr/local/bash-3.1/bash to /bin.
>>
>>     You can make /bin/bash a link to /usr/local/bash-3.1/bash.
>
> I assume you renamed the original bash to bash2.05b.

     Right.

> Suppose I do this, and then copy my /usr/local/bash-3.01/bash to /bin/bash.

     Better, copy it to /bin/bash3.0, and symlink it:

ln -s bash /bin/bash3.0

     Or don't copy it:

ln -s /usr/local/bash-3.01/bash  /bin/bash

> Is this all I have to do, or do I still have to edit the passwd file??

     No, because your shell in the password file is (probably)
     /bin/bash, and that is now the new version.

> Presumably I will also have to reboot ??

     NEVER!!! (.....except for kernel or hardware upgrades)

     The most you have to do is logout and log back in. Or just exit
     the xterm and start a new one.

> My problem is that I am afraid to screw things up and then have no bash left
> to get back on track again.

     If you're that worried, create a user with
     /usr/local/bash-3.01/bash as the shell.

     And add /usr/local/bash-3.01/bash to /etc/shells:

echo "/usr/local/bash-3.01/bash" >> /etc/shells

--
 	Chris F.A. Johnson                      http://cfaj.freeshell.org