(Fwd) Re:Bash Programming

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 19 01:16:39 UTC 2004

From:           	Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
To:             	Devin Whalen <devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org>
Subject:        	Re: [TLUG]: Bash Programming
Send reply to:  	pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Date sent:      	Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:12:06 -0400

Subject:        	[TLUG]: Bash Programming
From:           	Devin Whalen <devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org>
To:             	tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Date sent:      	Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:18:56 -0400
Send reply to:  	tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

> Hey,
>
> I am new to bash programming so I don't know what is wrong with this
> piece of code.  I am trying to create an array and loop through it:
>
> export_tables=( "table1" "table2" "table3" "table4" )
> #export_tables[0]="hello"

The second line is commented out.

To make an array, another way to do it is like this:

    export_tables='table1 table2 table3 table4'

... assuming there is no whitespace in any of the table names.

>         for table in ${export_tables[@]};

to do it my way:

          for table in $export_tables ; do
              echo $table
          done

there is no need of a semicolon if you have a newline between the "for" and
"do"
statements.