system backup

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 18 00:27:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 10:35:17PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>> Normally you want to do something like that using cpio, and not tar. You
>> can prepare a filelist using find / -prune /dev -a etc etc to remove
>> unpalatable things from the archive.
>
> Not if it's a tar file you are trying to create.
>
> I use afio for backups, but I never have understood the point of cpio.
> What does it do that rsync doesn't do for me?

cpio is clever about device files and such. You can copy the devices as
is, or links to same wherever they are in the fs without trouble. rpm uses
cpio internally among others. Other than that, nothing special. But I
still prefer to use find and make a file-list (equivalent to ls -lR but
better) and then have a peek at it before using it as file list for the
backup or system transfer.

Peter