You *KNOW* linux has hit the big time...

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 17 02:59:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 06:03:04PM +0000, James McIntosh wrote
> At 06:47 PM 2004/08/11 -0400, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > (snip) I don't think you'll actually get anything delivered; the
> > spammers/scammers will go to town on suckers' credit cards.
>
> They are selling software which is O.E.M., that is, for sale only as
> a promotional bonus with a computer system. Selling it in isolation
> is a violation of their business agreements with the various software
> publishing or distribution companies.
>
> The various software publishing or distribution companies can
> shut down their Web sites soon after the software publishing or
> distribution company learns of the existence of the Web site.
>
> I have no reason to believe that the Web site would fraudulently
> overcharge prices to your credit card.

  You have too much faith in human beings.  I'll give you the benefit of
the doubt.  I had originally snipped the URL and the Windows-software
portion of the spam, in order to keep the email short, and on-topic in
this list.  Here is the full info, so you can make an informed decision.
The URL is http://www.lookoo.biz and the Windows software included the
likes of...

Adobe Photoshop CS V 8.0 PC
Adobe Pagemaker V 7.0 PC
Adobe Illustrator CS V 11.0 PC
Microsoft SQL Server 2000
Microsoft Office XP Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Symantec Norton Antivirus 2004 Professional

  So you have...
  - a spam sent from a dynamic IP address in Germany
  - for a domain in the "biz" TLD
  - with a website hosted in China
  - said website has absolutely no indication "about us" as to where the
    company is physically located
  - the whois gives a registrant in Thailand
  - the registrant uses a Yahoo.com email address.  It is against
    Yahoo's AUP to use their accounts for business
  - advertising "New  O E M  Software" (Redhat Linux 9) which is so old
    that it is no longer supported
  - Symantec Norton Antivirus, yes. Windows 2K Pro and Office Pro, maybe.
    But I don't *REALLY* believe that there are "OEM versions" of
    Photoshop, Pagemaker, Illustrator, and MS SQL Server sold with new
    computers.

  The whole thing screams *SCAM*.  Given how much they're obfuscating
and outright lying, I do *NOT* want to trust them with my credit card
number.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did