system backup

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 16 16:23:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> You should tell tar NOT to decend other mounted filesystems (like /proc
> for example) to avoid a mess.  You should tell it to exclude itself,
> unless you are already putting the tar file on a different filesystem.

Definitely.  Here are the filesystems I normally exclude:

/cdrom
/floppy
/mnt
/proc
/tmp
/var/tmp
/backup
/backup2
/old

Some of those are particular to certain systems and some people use
/mnt/cdrom instead of /cdrom.  YMMV.  Generally I'd put the tar file on
/backup or pipe it over ssh to another box.

The tool xfsdump (recommended by SGI for backups of their filesystem) is
smart enough to not backup its own dump file.  All of the other dumps I've
used have also been smart enough to avoid backing up their own dump files.

> You can pipe tar over ssh to a file elsewhere.  ie:
>
> tar -czlf - /* | ssh user at otherhost 'cat > /path/dell.tgz'

Yeah, what Lennart said :)  If you can use j instead of z to use bzip2.
This produces a .tar.bz file.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org