system backup

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 16 13:52:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 07:49:30AM -0400, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> I will soon be sending my Dell laptop in for service and figure that I
> should send it in with WinXP only installed for the sake of my warranty.
> My machine is currently a full linux box. Is backing it up as simple as
> tar cf dell.tar /*?
>
> and reinstalling simple as fdisking, reinstalling grub, and then
> untaring?
>
> If not, what should I do? And if so, how can I create my tar file on a
> remote drive since I dont have enough space on the local drive to allow
> a complete copy?

You should tell tar NOT to decend other mounted filesystems (like /proc
for example) to avoid a mess.  You should tell it to exclude itself,
unless you are already putting the tar file on a different filesystem.

You can pipe tar over ssh to a file elsewhere.  ie:

tar -czlf - /* | ssh user at otherhost 'cat > /path/dell.tgz'

Lennart Sorensen