Sending errors from psql to error file

Stephen Lee penguin-b5dpCGu8vRqvf6OMzgWXFl6hYfS7NtTn at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 15 12:04:54 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org]On Behalf Of
cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 10:25 PM
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Sending errors from psql to error file

> I don't understand what is wrong with my method??

There's nothing dramatically wrong; it's that if you can characterize
the process of transforming the old data into the new form in a
well-defined "phased" fashion, you can readily audit the way the changes
worked, and be _very_ sure of what happened, because you can document
the steps.

This may not be so important with a web "message board" application
where nobody much cares if a few old items get trashed.

It appears that several of our national banks have gotten bitten badly
of late by software changes that wound up trashing data on them; their
ability to recover has depended on having well-defined transitions...

There's certainly "more than one way to skin the cat;" the methodology
I'm suggesting happens to be one I and my colleagues have found useful.
I have done quite a lot of data conversions over the years, and this is
the slickest approach I have seen...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sgml.html