linux and 1X data phones

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 13 15:11:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:47:26AM -0400, Austin wrote:
> Yes, I believe GPRS works well in Linux.
> http://easyconnect.linuxuser.hu/modules.php?name=index
>
> In fact, GSM phones are a way better system in general.  Why North
> America had to divide into two systems is beyond me.  Things are much
> simpler in Europe.  Buy a phone anywhere... it works with any supplier.

Well qualcomm owns all of CDMA so they have pushed it heavily in north
america where they are at home, while GSM where qualcomm only owns a few
of the patents is more popular wherever companies other than qualcomm
operate (as in everywhere).  It isn't even as if qualcomm doesn't make
royalties of GSM, they are just so greedy that they would rather people
use the system that only they get royalties on and only they make chips
for.  Not sure how they convinced so many cell phone companies to go
with a single source solution.

Of course some companies run both systems (like sprint in the US) and
rogers here.  Fido is all GSM, and Bell is all CDMA.  Not sure if Telus
is all CDMA or if they have some of both.

> Too late.  Stuck with Telus now.  I wish phone numbers were
> transferable.

Maybe some day they will be.

Lennart Sorensen