cdrecord -scanbus

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 12 01:26:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:07:01PM -0400, Alan Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:40:01PM -0400, Alan Cohen wrote:
> > with Fedora-2, cdrecord -scanbus shows me the IDE CDROM but not the
> > Yamaha. although I can mount and read the Yamaha
>
> Apparently, I'm not the only one with this question. It seems that the
> necessary command is ...
> 	cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/scd0

Well that's not how it's supposed to be, but if it works, I guess go
with that until it is broken again.

> ... so now I can begin.
> I have a iso9660 image in a file.
> I don't know much about xcdroast or k3b, so I'm using plain ordinary
> cdrecord as in
>          cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=/dev/scd0:0,3,0 -date my.iso.filspc
>
> P.S. It's a Yamaha CRW4416s (circa 1998) that I got for $29.00
>      I understood that SCSI was the way to go with CD burners but now I
>      hear that IDE burners are just as good.

Well a new driver would be way faster and not much more, and would not
require a scsi card either.

Before you could do direct to ATAPI writing in Linux, yeah scsi was
really the way to go.  Now ATAPI is really the way to go for modern CD
writers.

Lennart Sorensen