cdrecord -scanbus

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 19:17:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:40:01PM -0400, Alan Cohen wrote:
> Alan Cohen wrote:
> > > with Fedora-2, cdrecord -scanbus shows me the IDE CDROM but not the
> > > Yamaha. although I can mount and read the Yamaha
>
> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 12:04, Anton Markov wrote:
> > It is possible that Fedora uses the new 2.6 kernel (what does "uname -r"
> > say?), and cdrecord defaults to scanning IDE devices. Try "cdrecord
> > dev=help", and then "cdrecord -scanbus dev=<transport name>" where
> > <transport name> is reported by the "dev=help" option. Something like
> > "dev=sg" or "dev=pg" may help.
> >
> > Try loading the modules first as Lennart suggested.
>
> ... no joy yet ...
>
> uname -r says 2.6.5-1.358
>
> It seems to me that sg and sr_mod (not sr) modules are already loaded.
> Excerpt from lsmod
> ------------------
> 	MODULE                  SIZE  USED BY
> 	sg                     27552  0
> 	sr_mod                 13348  0
> 	scsi_mod               91344  4 sg,sr_mod,aic7xxx,sd_mod
>
> Excerpt from cdrecord -scanbus dev=help
> ---------------------------------------
> 	Transport name:         sg
> 	Transport descr.:       Generic transport independent SCSI
> 	Transp. layer ind.:
> 	Target specifier:       bus,target,lun
> 	Target example:         1,2,0
> 	SCSI Bus scanning:      supported
> 	Open via UNIX device:   not supported
>
> cdrecord -scanbus dev=sg  (same results if dev=sr or dev=sr_mod)
> ------------------------
>  Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
>  J??rg Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> <warly-7Aj/b8uzpy6AmYF/tR2SNQ at public.gmane.org>
>
> scsidev: 'sg'
> devname: 'sg'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
> cdrecord: No such file or directory.
>           Cannot open 'sg'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
>           Make sure you are root.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'

Well have you tried using a real version of cdrecord?  At least on
debian they call it dvdrecord when they apply that ugly useless dvd
writing hack (growisofs from dvd+rw-tools is a far better way to write
DVDs anyhow).  Who knows what else they changed while they were at it.

Does /proc/scsi/scsi see the cd-writer as a device?

On my debian system, it finds scsi cdroms fine by default if I have
ide-scsi sr_mod and sg loaded, and finds them fine too if I have ide-cd
loaded instead.

I don't know how it behaves with both a scsi and ide cdrom drive on the
system, since I haven't tried booting with hdc=ide-scsi to run one drive
each way.

I do HAVE to run cdrecord -scanbus -dev ATAPI to see the ide drives.  By
default a normal cdrecord does not look for ide devices on Linux.  I
suspect a patch has changed that and may be the cause of your problems.

Lennart Sorensen