LCD monitor questions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 9 18:25:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:19:43PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm once again in a situation where I have two computers and one
> monitor.  For now, I'll be getting a KVM switch, but I eventually want
> to get an LCD monitor.  What's the current status of features on LCD
> monitors?  My main wishlist items are...
>
>   - 90 degree display rotation, so that with "randr" (resize and rotate)
>     on linux, I'll be able to view webpages in "portrait mode"
>
>   - in true console textmode, will the monitor be able to display more
>     than 25 rows?  I've seen LCD displays on laptops that refuse to
>     display more than 25 rows, regardless of being told to.  See my page
>     http://www.waltdnes.org/tips_and_tricks/textmodes.html for details
>     of how to do this generically on a CRT.

This is entirely a video card issue.  If your card has a working FB
driver (framebuffer) then you can run higher resolution text mode.
Using the svga text modes may also work on some, whil eit doesn't on
others.  Sometimes the framebuffer driver and/or the svgatestmodes
break when combined with X, while other times it works fine (depends on
the drivers).  If you do get the framebuffer working, one way to ensure
X does not break it/with it, is to use framebuffer X, which of course
will be slower than a native X driver, and won't support video
acceleration or anything else to speed things up, but does work quite
well.

>   - probably 17 inches with 1280 x 1024 resolution.  I'd prefer 19 or 20
>     inches with 1600 x 1200 resolution, but that'll probably be too
>     expensive.

I wish these screens would stick to 4:3 aspect ratio (unless it really
is a wide screen display).  1280x1024 should never have existed.

Lennart Sorensen