LCD monitor questions

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 9 01:19:43 UTC 2004

  I'm once again in a situation where I have two computers and one
monitor.  For now, I'll be getting a KVM switch, but I eventually want
to get an LCD monitor.  What's the current status of features on LCD
monitors?  My main wishlist items are...

  - 90 degree display rotation, so that with "randr" (resize and rotate)
    on linux, I'll be able to view webpages in "portrait mode"

  - in true console textmode, will the monitor be able to display more
    than 25 rows?  I've seen LCD displays on laptops that refuse to
    display more than 25 rows, regardless of being told to.  See my page
    http://www.waltdnes.org/tips_and_tricks/textmodes.html for details
    of how to do this generically on a CRT.

  - probably 17 inches with 1280 x 1024 resolution.  I'd prefer 19 or 20
    inches with 1600 x 1200 resolution, but that'll probably be too
    expensive.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did