syncing directories

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 8 19:01:00 UTC 2004

On August 8, 2004 02:58 am, David J Patrick wrote:

> I'm looking for the best way to sync (or mirror ?) directories between
> my desktop, my laptop, and a usb key.

I use subversion for this.  I run a subversion server that stores most of my
home and *all* of the stuff that I actually care about.  Recently when I
wanted to do some work on a laptop I did roughly:

  svn co http://svnserver/svn/fraser/home/ .

That gave me all of the configs for my mua, kde, mozilla and a few other
programs that I care about.

Then there was a website that I wanted to work on from the laptop so I did:

  svn co http://svnserver/svn/customer/site/ site

And I had a complete up-to-the-minute copy of the website that I could work on
and modify (disconnected) to my hearts content.  I also had to sync the
apache config from my webserver to the laptop but I'll spare the full
details.

When I add stuff in my home direcory (or wherever) that I care about I will
also add that to my subversion

At work when I log out for the day I type "svn status -q" to tell me which of
my existing files have changed.  If I don't care about the changes I'll
revert the files otherwise I'll check them in.  When I get home I update my
home environment with "svn update" and proceed to have an identical user
experience there.  I do the same (or opposite) when leaving for work in the
morning.

All told I spend less than 1 minute per day on it and it gives me a 99%
consistent user experience between home, work and laptop.  It also means that
within a few minutes (however slow the network is) I can bring my environment
to a computer (single checkout command).

I seem to recall this conversation before ;-)