syncing directories

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 8 13:07:27 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, David J Patrick wrote:

> I'm looking for the best way to sync (or mirror ?) directories between
> my desktop, my laptop, and a usb key.
> I have been experimenting with rsync (dangerous ?) and have the nagging
> feeling that there must be a better way. Any suggestions ?

Naturally, it depends on your definitions of 'better' and 'dangerous'.

Rsync is only as dangerous as any of the other command line utilities;
it's a combination of find, cp and scp. Even cp can be dagnerous when used
indiscriminately.

If you're worried about overwriting stuff, there's an option to protect
against that. If you want to find out what it's going to copy or update,
you can do everything except actually run the comment.

Alex