passing "%20" in a url to Perl via CGI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 6 13:16:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 08:44:11AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I'll be adding the "%25" substitute in now to test. A question
> though; would one of those 'pm' modules do this well:
>
> - I use 'ls' to pass the file names in a directory to perl

readdir is probably better and more efficient than using ls.  Well
readdir and stat maybe,  Calling fork and exec to another process is not
the cheapest system call to make.

> - perl then pushes that file name to a postres db
> - later the file name is pulled back up and then 'rsync' is called using
> that file name.
> - through all of this the filename can be passed to the script over CGI
>
>   I am not too familiar with 'pm' modules I'm afraid I'm not to sure
> how to use them properly yet. Also, would one of these modules help
> ensure that other special characters and possibly unicode characters in
> file names where properly handled, too? Thanks!

Usually man has info on each perl module with examples of how to use
them.  ie: man CGI (or man 3perl CGI if you want)

Lennart Sorensen