passing "%20" in a url to Perl via CGI

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 6 12:44:11 UTC 2004

Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>

>> Sometime I think: what for are these .pm's? Most of  these things
>> could be done without them.
>

> That may be so, but I know I'd much rather use someone else's tested,
> maintained code than have to write my own. In Perl, laziness is a virtue.
>
> I'm still recovering from working at a shop where they'd decided that
> CGI.pm was 'too big, too slow', and had handrolled their own CGI
> parameter code. It wouldn't work with certain browsers or types of
> requests, had numerous bugs, could be spoofed quite easily, and was
> probably less efficient than CGI.pm. And we had to spend ages working
> around it, and there was nothing compatible with it, so we had to write
> even more code to replicate existing modules. Go figure.
>
>  Stewart

Hi,

   I'll be adding the "%25" substitute in now to test. A question
though; would one of those 'pm' modules do this well:

- I use 'ls' to pass the file names in a directory to perl
- perl then pushes that file name to a postres db
- later the file name is pulled back up and then 'rsync' is called using
that file name.
- through all of this the filename can be passed to the script over CGI

   I am not too familiar with 'pm' modules I'm afraid I'm not to sure
how to use them properly yet. Also, would one of these modules help
ensure that other special characters and possibly unicode characters in
file names where properly handled, too? Thanks!

Madison