passing "%20" in a url to Perl via CGI

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 6 12:29:11 UTC 2004

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> Sometime I think: what for are these .pm's? Most of  these things could
> be done without them.

That may be so, but I know I'd much rather use someone else's tested,
maintained code than have to write my own. In Perl, laziness is a virtue.

I'm still recovering from working at a shop where they'd decided that
CGI.pm was 'too big, too slow', and had handrolled their own CGI
parameter code. It wouldn't work with certain browsers or types of
requests, had numerous bugs, could be spoofed quite easily, and was
probably less efficient than CGI.pm. And we had to spend ages working
around it, and there was nothing compatible with it, so we had to write
even more code to replicate existing modules. Go figure.

  Stewart