hack attempt - what to do

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 6 04:20:24 UTC 2004

Noah John Gellner wrote:

>Today some punk tried to hack my system by trying to log in as root to
>my ssh server. There was no problem and I mailed Abuse and Admin at his
>ISP. This attempt was unusual due to the number of attempts. I notice a
>couple of HTTP attacks every day. What do people do about this nonsense.
>I am thinking of starting to aggressively mail ISPs as determined by
>whois and demand that users be warned and/or censured. Any thoughts?

This works well

http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/

-snip-

fwknop stands for "Firewall Knock Operator"

fwknop implements network access controls (via iptables) based on a
flexible port knocking mini-language, but with a twist; it combines port
knocking and passive operating system fingerprinting to make it possible
to do things like only allow, say, Linux-2.4/2.6 systems to connect to
your SSH daemon.

fwknop supports shared, multi-protocol port knock sequences along with
both relative and absolute timeouts, and coded port knock sequences
encrypted with the Rijndael block cipher.

-snip-