Knoppix 3.1 in German

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 5 14:39:41 UTC 2004

Jason Shein wrote:

> Peter L. Peres wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:
>>
>>> I'm confused. Knoppix 3.1 Live boots in English, runs in English, I
>>> ran knx-hdinstall in English, it boots in English, lilo is in
>>> English, login is in English, then everything is in German. How can
>>> I install or run so that knoppix 3.1 (or KDE) runs in English?

<snip>

> try editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
>
> change: ( aprox line 97 )
>
> ### localization
> # Allow language specification via commandline. The default language
> # will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline
> LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)"
> [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="de"
>
> # The default language/keyboard to use. This CANNOT be autoprobed.
> # Most of these variables will be used to generate the KDE defaults
> # and will be inserted into /etc/sysconfig/* below.
> case "$LANGUAGE" in
> de)
>
> to the appropriate settings you want to load by default on boot ( ie:
> us )
>
> That should do the trick I think.

Thanks -- that was a bit of work you put into this. I ended up changing
keyboard and KDE language the GUI tools KDE Keyboard Tool and Control
Centre > Personalization > Country & Language. Everything is in English
now and persisting from login-to-login. However, if KDE ever misbehaves
and I have to do this from command-line I'll have your saved email
instructions.

Thanks.

: )

Chris