Knoppix 3.1 in German

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 5 20:33:39 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I'm confused. Knoppix 3.1 Live boots in English, runs in English, I
>> ran knx-hdinstall in English, it boots in English, lilo is in
>> English, login is in English, then everything is in German. How can I
>> install or run so that knoppix 3.1 (or KDE) runs in English?
>

> If that's any help, on knoppix 3.4 the khelpcenter index (the left
> frame) is in German, and the contents (the right frame) is in English ;-)
>
> Peter

try editing /etc/init.d/knopix-autoconfig

change: ( aprox line 97 )

### localization
# Allow language specification via commandline. The default language
# will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline
LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)"
[ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="de"

# The default language/keyboard to use. This CANNOT be autoprobed.
# Most of these variables will be used to generate the KDE defaults
# and will be inserted into /etc/sysconfig/* below.
case "$LANGUAGE" in
de)

to the appropriate settings you want to load by default on boot ( ie:  us )

That should do the trick I think.