Speeding up Spam Assassin

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 5 02:33:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Adil Kodian wrote:

> If youve got a good amount of RAM on your machine (and it has a UPS
> and is stable), create a tmpfs partition, and mount it as
> /var/spool/postfix

As a long time mail admin the idea of leaving the queue in ram caused me
to develop a twitch just thinking about it :)

> thus all spamassassin reading and writing will be done from memory.

This can also be achieved if the box has enough memory to allow for a good
disk cache.  If a box using tmpfs for the queue runs short on memory reads
will end up coming out of swap space anyway, somewhat negating the
advantage of using it.

> This will greatly speed up delivery.  The downside is that you have to
> be really careful when you shut this machine down. Make sure that
> there are no messages in the mailq (either incoming or outgoing)
> before yuo shut the box down.
>
> I would suggest using two mailservers. Both receive a copy of the
> mail, and one is backup. THe live one has tmpfs.

Personally I don't think the small advantage of always writing into ram is
worth the extra complexity, given that with good caching you can almost
always write into ram.

Cheers,
	Rob

--