Static IP

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 30 22:27:00 UTC 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 18:06, James Knott wrote:
> > Does anybody know where I can apply for a high speed internet with
> > static IP address? I want to build a DNS server with redhat linux 8.0.
> > I am pretty new in this area.
>
> ????
>
> What are you planning on using the DNS for?  You can't just set one up
> for your ISP.  If for a local network, you don't need a static IP.

I would assume that he has one or more domains and needs control over the dns,
more control than he might get if he farmed that service out to an ISP.

I plan on setting up an Internet accessible dns server at home as well.  I
host a (small) bunch of domains on coloed servers and right now I use
backupdns.com (very cheap and fairly reliable) as my secondary dns server.  I
plan on moving secondary dns service to my house because I can, because it
will save me a few dollars a month and because it gives me a good excuse to
learn a new DNS server (nsd).