Static IP

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 30 20:17:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 03:50:26PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> iStop (http://www.istop.com) offers ADSL (3M/800k)[1] with a static
> address[2].  They explicitly allow you to run servers
> although they reserve the right to block or redirect busy ports.
>
> I have no relationship to iStop except as a client.  I went over to them
> after a number of good recomendations.
>
> [1] I'm only getting 1.7M even though the line should handle 3M.  I need
> to investigate this further but I only got connected 2 days ago :)
>
> If you _only_ want a dns server there are other options.  Have you
> considered Everydns.net?
>
> [2] This costs $50 once-off or $4/month on top of any other costs.

Not sure about the speed.  My line is indicated as "up to 1.7Mbit" and I
don't think I have passed 1.0Mbit yet.  I suspect my line though given I
live in an old appartment building on the 21th floor, with terrible
wiring in the walls, so I am not that surprised.  Seems rather reliable
so far though.  Still over 10 times faster than my 56k modem was so I am
happy.

Lennart Sorensen