dan takes a poll: server names

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 30 03:57:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 20:11, Henry Spencer wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > Also, if the hostname is used for item tracking or for service agreements
> > and support contracts (common in traditional Unix land) it can be
> > problematic to change the hostname and associated paperwork whenever a
> > box changes function (and therefore name).
>
> I find it useful to separate hardware names from DNS names.  When the box
> comes in the door, it gets a hardware name that never changes (in my case,
> usually from Greek mythology).  But that's completely separate from its
> DNS name and also any service nicknames.

I like the hostname mapping to specific hardware.  We had a customer machine
called tonga, things got moved around (OS reinstalls) and now I am completely
confused as to which machine is which.

It is important since there were some hardware issues with one of the
machines.  We replaced RAM but weren't sure whether that had fixed the
problem, now if we have a problem we'll be scratching our heads wondering
whether we've already replaced RAM in the machine giving problems or if it's
just time to scrap the whole caboodle.