dan takes a poll: server names

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 30 01:58:01 UTC 2004

"daniel" <danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> on Thursday, April 29, 2004 5:33 PM
wrote:

> i like to pick people's brains on this issue.  your boxes @home and @work.
> what names have you given them?  do they conform to a theme at all?  just
> survey if you're interested.  here's my stuff:
>
>   fightclub (router)
>   moulinrouge (desktop)
>   empirerecords (file/webserver)
>   pirates (windows)

Well, let's see for some of the places I have dealt with:

Initial Toronto Free-Net Set-up:
- Servers: Toronto Subway lines (built or seriously proposed): bloor, yonge,
  queen, spadina, etc.
- Firewall: Heat proof material: asbestos
- Terminal servers: Transit hubs: union, pearson1, pearson2, and pearson3
  (the pearson terminal servers were all the same make and model...).

An advertising firm that had a lot of U.S. clients:
- Servers: Former U.S. Presidents: polk, ford, bush, etc.

reSource:
- Functional names for single purpose servers: files, mail, etc.
- General purposes servers: Cat breeds: manx, korat, sphynx, etc.
- Desktop machines: name or nickname of the user.

Home:
- Items to be found in jewellery: topaz, ruby, pearl, onyx, etc.

Things I normally look for when doing a naming convention,
- I want themes that will offer a fair number of short names (4-6
  characters)
- I don't want overlapping themes/names (i.e.: I don't want a home and an
  office machine both called topaz).
- I want names to be fit for "polite" company (read nothing obscene).
- I want names that tie into the organisation / people at the organisation
  (i.e.: Ron Smith (head of reSource) owns 9 cats, Toronto Free-Net and the
  Toronto themes).

Colin McGregor

P.S. There are three cat breeds noted above, who knows which of them had
it's real start here in Toronto? The answer can be seen here:
http://www.roncesvallesvillage.ca/hood.shtml