dan takes a poll: server names

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 29 23:37:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, G. Matthew Rice wrote:

> Mine is close.  At home, I name it after famous actor last names; price,
> lawless [blame my wife for that one], chaplin, ...  Those will never run out.

At home I've always used characters from the SciFi series "Blake's 7".
Not as popular here in North America as where I'm from so the names are
often lost on people :)

Names used include zen, blake, orac, cally, avon, dayna, and vila.

My wife's last PC was iggy.  Don't ask me why :)  Her new laptop quickly
got the nickname junior.  It stuck and is now the hostname.

> At work we chose 'celestial body' names.  Boy, was that mistake.  We're
> running out of names.  We're now fighting over 'Asteroid S/1998(45)1' vs.

Running out of names?  Open a celestial catalogue :).

> 'S/1993(243)1' for the next machine ;)

Varuna is cool name.  It is a Kuiper Belt Object iirc.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org