dan takes a poll: server names

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 29 21:58:49 UTC 2004

daniel <danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> i like to pick people's brains on this issue.  your boxes @home and @work.
> what names have you given them?  do they conform to a theme at all?  just a
> survey if you're interested.  here's my stuff:
>
>   fightclub (router)
>   moulinrouge (desktop)
>   empirerecords (file/webserver)
>   pirates (windows)

Mine is close.  At home, I name it after famous actor last names; price,
lawless [blame my wife for that one], chaplin, ...  Those will never run out.

At work we chose 'celestial body' names.  Boy, was that mistake.  We're
running out of names.  We're now fighting over 'Asteroid S/1998(45)1' vs.
'S/1993(243)1' for the next machine ;)

> you cannot write history
> you can only live through it
>   - g'kar, babylon 5 "a view from the gallery"

sci-fi character names were reserved for the children [yes, I have a daughter
with the name Delenn].
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                            starnix inc.
phone: 905-771-0017 x242                        thornhill, ontario, canada