Web front end to cups and samba .. an inspiration

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 28 14:34:15 UTC 2004

Hi TLUGgers,

Just wanted to think the group for the ongoing technical discussion about
this and that.

After quite some time running a Linux workstation on an otherwise pure
Windows network, this weekend I set up my stepson's system to dual boot
between Windows 98 and Mandrake 10.

Last night I took the plunge and moved my last printer from my Windows 98
workstation to my Linux (Mandrake 10 Community) workstation, installed
cups on my workstation and on my stepson's workstation, then got both of
them to print, using the oh-so-convenient web front end (port 631?).

While I was on my step-son's system, I installed the Flash plug-in for
Mozilla. He was impressed (and if you have a 16 year-old, you'll
appreciate that's a rare occurrence).

Finally, I installed and set up samba on my machine so that the now
orphaned Windows workstations could print again, and once more, it was the
web front end to the rescue (port 901?). The only complication was that I
also had to start nmbd so that the Windows machines could find the new
print server. Apart from that everything just worked.

I also find it very neat that these web front ends don't work through an
Apache web server but rather use xinetd .. that's a cool, lightweight
solution.  Less muss, less fuss.

So now I have a Linux print server accesible by both Linux and Windows
workstations, inspired by some discussion on TLUG about the web front end
for cups. Thanks again!

Alex