cable modem activity

Mel Seder melseder-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 28 01:24:04 UTC 2004

--- Kevin Cozens <kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Greetings, Mel.
>
> For some reason, parts of the message got a bit garbled.
>
> At 03:44 PM 04/23/2004, Mel Seder wrote:
> > > could have temporarily shutdown the network support (ieie/sbsbinervice
> > > network stop).
> >
> >Right you are I take it the syntax would be #/sbsbinervice network stop.  Is
> >that correct?
>
> /sbin/service network stop
>
> > > indicated that you have open ports for LDLDAPsome unspecified service on
> > > port 1002, and a SQSQLatabase on port 1720. Unless you need to make these
> > > ports accessible to people outside your local network, you should do
> > > something to limit access to these ports.
> >
> >Uh Oh!  My router only has the ssh port forwarded.  Come to think of it I
> >don't
> >know how ftp,  hthttpnd possibly others are able to communicate as they have
> >not been forwarded by my router.  Is there a place to look to see if
> LDLDAPnd
> >SQSQLan be disabled?  I assume that they are not needed unless I am running
> >LDLDAPnd SQSQLhich I don't think I am running?
>
> If you don't need LDAP services or a SQL database on your machine, you
> should modify your startup scripts so these services won't start
> automatically when you boot the machine. If you have it on your machine,
> chkconfig is one way to alter which startup scripts are run at boot time.

Hi Kevin,  thanks for your reply.  chkconfig returned the following

[mel-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]$ /sbin/chkconfig --list ldap
ldap            0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
[mel-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]$ /sbin/chkconfig --list mysqld
mysqld          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

it looks like they haven't been turned on.

> You should also use ps and lsof to see what programs are running after your
> machine starts and to which ports your machine is listening. And don't
> forget to review the configuration of inetd.

There seems to be many inetd files I'm not sure which ones do what.

 Just a heads up in case you
> haven't already done all of this.

lsof produced hundreds of lines and I didn't know what to look for nor do I
know to filter the output.

ps didn't tell me very much

[mel-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]$ ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
10642 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
10780 pts/2    00:00:00 ps
[mel-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]$

> >However I'm scared to death of IPIPtablesnd fifilewalls If you
> >know of a site about momonmothaor dummies/(network impaired) newbies let me
> >know and alallthough can't prpromise'll try it I do prpromise will read it
> or
> >at least read it until I get too scared :-)

I read your links and I'm still scared :-) the word iptables makes me quiver
and tremble.

> The MonMotha script isn't that difficult to set up. You edit a few
> variables near the top of the script and the rest of the script builds all
> the rules you need. The script will typically deny any inbound connections
> except for the ports you specify.
>
> The main site for MonMotha is:
> http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/
>
> Some useful documentation about the script can be found here:
> http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php?MonMothaReferenceGuide

Do you know how to do a port scan on remote box?

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)