pc speaker

Jeremy Wakeman cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 27 23:12:21 UTC 2004

Hi

I recently upgraded a debian installation from woody to sarge, and
compiled a 2.6.3 kernel.  Everything seems to work fine (alsa + esd
is *really* cool) except for my pc speaker.  I enabled the pc speaker
option in the kernel ("Y" not "M"), and /proc/bus/input/devices shows
the pc speaker, but i still don't get any beeps.

I found several mentions of problems with 2.6.x and the pc speaker, but
none seem to have any solutions beyond "recompile with correct option"
or "make sure pc speaker isn't muted in mixer" (it isn't).  It could
be that the pc speaker is not working because I am not on standard
tty (/initrd/dev/ttyN) - I am running on a live cd.  Could this be
the problem?  Any ideas on how I can solve it?

TIA,

--

Jeremy John Wakeman
cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org