LCD / Video Card advice request

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 23:40:17 UTC 2004

I'm thinking of getting an LCD monitor. But recently I've gotten burned
with computer hardware purchases, and thought I'd ask for advice first.

Most of my work is with text, often in console but sometimes in xdvi or
xpdf; I don't need 3D acceleration or anything of the sort, but a sharp
display is a must.

It seems as though an LCD monitor with a DVI input, paired with a video
card having a DVI output, produces better-quality results than analogue
connections. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Many LCD monitors -- certainly those capable of 1280x1024 or 1600x1200
resolution, which is good for my purposes -- have DVI inputs.

  --> Question [1]: Any recommendations for DVI-enabled LCD monitors
                    at higher resolutions? Good, bad, horror stories?

I run Debian (testing), with XFree 4.3.0.1. In the past, people have
said good things about ATI support; there are a variety of Radeon cards
(all somewhat older it seems) covered by this release of X, and at least
some of them, such as the Radeon 7000 or 9500, have DVI output.

  --> Question [2]: Any recommendations among the various ATI cards? Or
                    should I be looking at some other manufacturer for
		    this? Again, the good/bad/horrific stories are all
		    useful.

Thanks!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42