TLUG Coup D'etat

Evan Leibovitch evan-WHMkLBA7RDE at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 20:54:19 UTC 2004

Colin McGregor wrote:

>Well it would seem TLUG has been taken over and nobody told us:
>
>     http://www.linux.ca/library/linux/lug.shtml
>
>Seems Evan Leibovitch is now our glorious leader. All hail the glorious leader!!!

Thank you. I am always appreciative of recognition by my subjects,
though I'm at a loss to know what has recently happened for me to
deserve it.

>(who is still somewhat sore that TLUG did not have a booth at the Real World
>Linux Show, seemingly due to (non) efforts of Evan Leibovitch's associate
>Matthew Rice).

Truth be told, it was due to the show organizers who saw the 2003 TLUG
booth as an embarrassment and refused to stage a repeat. Last year there
were no TLUG brochures at the booth, but plenty of consultants using it
as a base to hawk new clients. So show organizers asked if CLUE could do
the double duty of representing LPI (of which it is an official
affiliate) and the local user community, in the absence of any concrete
proposals from TLUG to improve over what happened in 2003.

So indeed the local community was represented by the CLUE booth, which
was the result of action (and a considerable amount of work) by Matt.
How easy it must be for people to sit on their asses and expect others
to do their work for them, then insult those who step forward for either
doing too much or not doing enough. So go ahead and stay sore.

For better or for worse, TLUG is not incorporated, so it has been CLUE
which has historically signed and taken legal responsibility for local
community presence at RWL and all previous Toronto trade shows such as
Comdex Canada. Colin (or anyone else) is welcome to (try to) resurrect
the business-card stand that was the 2003 TLUG booth, in the future. You
have a long head start for the 2005 show.

- Your glorious leader