Firewall without using iptables?

Gilles Fourchet gilles.fourchet-zzOxFVvAfJPQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 14:10:42 UTC 2004

With Linux, there are only 2 solutions (in the kernel): iptables and
ipchains.  Although ipchains was the solution for the 2.2.x kernel, it
is still usable with a kernel 2.4.x.

Now, if you do not have neither iptables nor ipchains compiled in your
kernel, you have two solutions: either recompiled your kernel to include
this functionality or find a firewall solution that does not rely on the
kernel.

Personally, I would suggest to recompile the kernel as it is easy and
you will get a lot of support.

Gilles