Firewall without using iptables?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 25 18:29:12 UTC 2004

On Sunday 25 April 2004 11:16, srb wrote:

> There's a couple of live CD distros I like to use that do not have
> iptables... is there another way to create a firewall... are there any
> applications that can do this without iptables in the kernel?

Look at /proc/net/ip_tables_* ... if you don't see 3 files like that then
you're kernel does not support iptables.  If the files aren't there then try
modprobe ip_tables ... if that succeeds check for the existence of the files.

Assuming the above works out then you just need the iptables utility to
install rules.  You should be able to grab that from another Linux distro and
use if (finding ones built against the same libraries shouldn't be
difficult).

I don't know of another way to create a firewall on a Linux machine besides
iptables (I don't see a way of manipulating files in /proc directly to create
rules).

Are you wanting this for a dedicated firewall machine or are you using it for
other machines?  If it's a dedicated firewall you might want to investigate
the Gibraltar firewall (http://www.gibraltar.at/default.php?page=5):

    Gibraltar is a Debian GNU/Linux-based firewall package which boots up and
    runs completely from CD-ROM, so hard disk installation is not necessary.
    The configuration data is optionally stored on hard disk, floppy disk or
    an USB storage device.