Debian - can't upgrade

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 24 21:58:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 05:13:12PM -0400, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> Thank you very much - this did the trick. I ran it, then apt-get -f
> install and now I am able to proceed with my dist-upgrade.
> Cheers,
> Noah
>
> On 16:04 Sat 24 Apr     , Jason Shein wrote:
> > you could try
> >
> > dpkg: --force overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/imagemagick...deb

The much safer solution would be to temporarily remove the conflicting
package by overriding the dependancies by doing:

dpkg --force-depends -r conflictingpackage

--force-overwrite means you are doing something wrong.  After all, when
you do that, which package now owns that file and if you remove one of
them, should the file be deleted as part of the remove or not?  If you
know what --force-overwrite does, then you won't use it.

Lennart Sorensen