extracting text from PDF file

Fred Nastos nastos-JAjqph6Yjy8fbXvGcxQkLSwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 23 19:06:06 UTC 2004

I saw this thread, and I have a related question.

Does anyone have a good way to extract images from a PDF file?
In Windows, you can apparently use the "image extract tool" located
in the menubar of acrobat reader, but I cannot get that "tool" to work in
linux.  I tried converting to ps, then using gimp and cropping, etc... but
the resulting image had bad resolution.

Thanks