cable modem activity

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 23 18:45:08 UTC 2004

Greetings, Charly.

At 10:18 AM 04/22/2004, you wrote:
>I downloaded treeps-1.2-2.i386.rpm.md5sum.  Do I use
>rpm -Uvh treeps-1.2-2.i386.rpm.md5sum  to install it?

The file you want to download and install should normally end in .rpm only
and not .md5sum. The file ending in .md5sum is probably the smaller file
and is just the file you would use to ensure that the installable file was
downloaded properly.

Several years I ran across a similar situation of unexpected high level of
network activity on a Silicon Graphics computer. 'ps' didn't tell me
anything useful. It was netstat that was more helpful in determining that
an external company was running a search engine that wasn't limiting the
rate at which it was accessing the web pages on the machine. I dealt with
it by adding a route for their IP address to a non-existent IP address in
the local network and reported the problem to the other company.

There was no need for you to reboot the machine. Since you indicated your
computer wasn't doing anything that need the cable modem at the time, you
could have temporarily shutdown the network support (ie. /sbin/service
network stop).

Anyone with access to the net (especially via cable modem or DSL and even
if only a dial-up modem) should use some form of firewall. The part of the
portscan of your machine indicated was reported in another message
indicated that you have open ports for LDAP, some unspecified service on
port 1002, and a SQL database on port 1720. Unless you need to make these
ports accessible to people outside your local network, you should do
something to limit access to these ports.

One simple solution is to use a script like monmotha. You set a few
variables in the first part of the script specifying what should and should
not be accessible to the local network and to the Internet and the rest of
the script uses iptable commands to build the rules to protect your machine.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"