Why wrap @ 80?

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 23 15:28:41 UTC 2004

Why do we wrap text at 80 columns on TLUG, and elsewhere on the Net for
that matter? I know that if your mailreader doesn't autowrap it can be
unpleasant to read, but don't the vast majority of readers wrap? The
advantage of not wrapping is that fwds, replies, and follow-ups don't
get funky formatting due to the hard carriage returns.

I would be very happy to disable hard wordwrapping on vi.

Cheers,
Noah
--
Even Buddha punished evil - "Master Killer"