secure ftp server for linux

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 22 05:09:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:29:29AM -0400, Dmitri Vassilenko wrote:

> What's a good replacement for FTP? I remember using WinSCP back in the day
> for SCP connections. IIRC, it worked with any host that has SSH setup. Or
> maybe that was just a coincidence? I'm not sure.
>
> I've been trying to find a client for Linux that would do the same. gFTP has
> a SSH connection option, but it doesn't work for the hosts which support SCP.
>
> Any ideas?

It's using SFTP, not SCP.  Both of them tunnel file transfers over SSH, but
they use _totally_ different mechanisms under the covers to do this.

I believe that scp requires nothing more than an ssh connection, while
sftp requires something like the following line in sshd_config:
Subsystem   sftp  /usr/libexec/sftp-server

--
taa

    I'd rather listen to Newton than to Mundie. He may have been dead
    for almost three hundred years, but despite that he stinks up the
    room less.
       -- Linus Torvalds
/*eof*/