search engine pollution

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 20 21:19:26 UTC 2004

I have htdig installed to search documents on my own machine and I have
noticed that a particular document may be hard to find because it seldomly
refers to itself, whereas many others refer to it. F.ex. searching for rfc
ftp one will find all the assigned numbers and protocol lists, with the
real ftp protocols scoring and ranking low (in the first few tens over
700+ matches in this case). What would be a way to improve this without
using META tags and such (not all documents are text). Using the full
title also does not help. The referrers also use the full title ...

tia,
Peter