debian package management

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 20 13:41:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:51:18PM -0400, Mark Wadden wrote:
> Without sparking a religious war here, I'd like to know what people
> think of Debian's package upgrade process, compared to say Red Hat
> Network or SuSE's YaST/YOU.
>
> I've always been one to just reinstall for a major upgrade instead of
> attempting to merge versions (i.e. going from RH7.3 to 9.0) but hearing
> things like "You'll never have to reinstall again!" sounds promising.
> Question is, does it really hold up?  Does it leave a mess behind?

I have never had to do a reinstall after switching to debian.  Can't say
that for all the versions of redhat I went through, and even then the
upgrade was done by booting the installer and selecting upgrade, while
debian's upgrade is done with the system live (some services may stop
temporarily while being upgraded).

To me there is no comparison. :)

Lennart Sorensen