Redhat installation source change

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 20 02:31:58 UTC 2004

> Is it just me, or is Redhat a terrible fuckin' distro? How the hell do I
> change my installation source settings... I installed of a boot cd but
> now want to add packages with an ftp source.

Well, personally I like to download the package file first before
installing it, just to make sure it's fully available and not corrupted.
You can easily get files from FTP through ncftp or wget.  ncftp is a very
nice client that supports wildcards.

However, you can do (as described in 'man rpm')
rpm -Uvh ftp://USER:PASSWORD-0+c7FTDAQ9w@public.gmane.org:PORT/path/to/package.rpm

the common syntax for installing an RPM file is:
rpm -Uvh [packagefile]

-Jing