[OT strange UDP]

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA== at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 19 13:21:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:05:15 -0400
Gregory D Hough <mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ==@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> This packet may provide an additional clue. What is bcp? First of all I
> do not use that address space anywhere in the network, someone is
> either guessing or these were intended to reach another machine.

bcp:// is a further suggestion that your machine is being used by someone for filesharing using the donkey protocol. Have a look at:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/mldonkey-users/2002-12/msg00426.html for a discussion of the use of bcp and donkey.

Furthermore, after a donkey/mule session has been closed, there is a lot of network noise until all the other servers and clients finally realize that the session no longer exists. I don't know the technical details about this, but I am sure that the thread above will be able to provide the clues.

If it is all possible that a user on your system is using something like amule, xmule, mldonkey, or perhaps other apps, this seems the most likely source of the weird traffic.

Hope this is helpful.

Noah