Understanding Packages

Geoffrey Hunter GHunter-kgJIzn72htc= at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 19 02:26:55 UTC 2004

Hello:
       I'm trying to understand what a "package" (.tar) is, why applications
are (usually) supplied as a package, and how/when the components of the package
are loaded and executed when the application is active.  If you know of a text
that really explains this, giving me the URL (or other reference - say a book)
would be the best way to answer this query.

       I guess that much Linux software is written in C, and I've noticed that
C doesn't allow functions to be defined (nested) within other functions; MAIN
and all the functions that it calls, and all the functions that they call, are
at the same hierarchical level, with data/results being passed between them
via parameters of the functions.  I guess that this could be the explanation
for why applications come as a package of C functions, even though only one
(or a few) of the many functions that comprise the package are called
(callable) by the user ?

       I need to know, because I'm in the middle of revising a paper extolling
the virtues of nested, vs. non-nested, environments; I want to say something
about C and Linux (and perhaps Micro$oft Windows), and of course I want what
I say to be accurate.

Geoffrey Hunter
Chemistry Building Room 318
York University, 4700 Keele Street