Toronto Star today

Ilya Palagin ilyapalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 18 01:07:12 UTC 2004

Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Ilya Palagin wrote:
>
>>"...Linux as something that's going to continue to be supported."  And he
>>choosed RedHat, it was a fatal mistake! These guys discontinue support
>>of their products much sooner, then M$ does!
>

> Remember that with open-source software, support doesn't have to come from
> the original supplier.

Sure, one can provide support for "discontinued" products by himself,
building updated packages for his system(s). But the only distribution
this happy guy actually needs in this case is called LFS, and he doesn't
care of RH, SuSE, etc.

On my opinion, the conception of "discontinued support" comes from wrong
approach to distro building.  It is just not applicable for *right
things* like Debian :-)!  I heard (never tried), that it's practically
possible to update it from the very first version to Woody by running of
dpkg and apt-get with a minimal risk for crashing the whole system!
That's the way to go.

Regards,
Ilya.