Web hosting software - replacement for Ensim

Ilya Palagin ilyapalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 18 00:46:35 UTC 2004

Anton Markov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What exactly do you need the software to do, that standard Linux tools
> can't do? I am sure that other TLUGers can suggest various separate
> tools to get what you want done, if you tell us what you are trying to do.

I need a "control panel" for Linux tools, this what Ensim is. This
software has a web-interface, it creates sites (clients) and assigns
services for them, like web, mail, ssh access, shows statistics, etc.
Personally I don't need it, usually I've had to do a "fine tuning" or
repair sites, created by Ensim.  But people who haven't learned (yet)
Linux do need it.  With it, you just give your client his own admin
login and password, then he transfers/updates content for his site,
installs SSL certificate, creates mail accounts, databases, shortly -
does all basic administrating tasks having no idea about
OS he's working with.

> For example, there are many great web servers available for Linux, Linux
> already has excellent user management, and web-based configuration tools
> exist to ease the task of having many users (usermin/webmin). Perhaps
> you won't get the same integration, but that's why they charge money for
> it (or is it free? their website is vague).

They charge money for making unix-specific tasks like creating a
chrooted website and mysql database accessible to unexperienced users.
Webmin is good, but I need a web-hosting specific control panel.

> Also, why can't you run the software on other distros? Is it because
> they don't provide the source code? I believe there are still ways of
> making binary-only programs work on other distros. However, I would be
> cautious of software developers who write software for a specific
> distribution of Linux.

They replace some packages, which come with the distributions, with
their own builds, like PHP and Apache. Even if I install it on another
distro, I won't be able to apply updates, because they are
system-specific. Ensim doesn't provide source code and has many more
disadvantages which make it just ugly, it's another reason for searching
for another hosting application.

Regards,
Ilya.