Equivalent of acrobat writer on linux?

Patrick Allen pallen3-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 17 20:44:28 UTC 2004

Alex Maynard wrote:
> Just wondered if anyone knows of an easy way to make pdf files out MS word
> type files on linux? I'm using abiword, but glad to switch if something
> else works better.

I just used Open Office 1.1 to open an '97 Word .doc file and convert it
to a .pdf

The New Times Roman font the original document was done in did not
display very well in Oo.  But it looked ok after the conversion to .pdf

There were some changes made to page break locations.  This might cause
a problem with a larger document.

Open Office has been accused of being too resource heavy by some.  But
if you're using a PIII (or better) with enough ram, you shouldn't have
too much of a performance issue.

P Allen