scanner recommendations

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 16 17:21:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:09:01PM -0400, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> I have decided to buy a scanner. Its main use will be for copying
> documents and faxing. However, I would like the have the potential to do
> some imaging work.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations for a scanner which will work well with
> linux, is under $100, and works well?

The Epson 12x0 USB scanners are in general very well supported under
Linux.  Should be about the price you are looking for.  not sure if the
current model is 1250 or 1260.  Some models (photo models) include
transparency/slide adapters.

Check the sane (scanners are now easy) project page for a list of
working models.  Sane's info on epson is that it generally works, except
for one or two models that epson sourced from some other company (and it
seems decided to never do again.)  HP doesn't make scanners, they just
brand and sell them, so each model (even similar in model number) can
have completely different instructions and chips.  Similarly with most
other scanner makes.

Lennart Sorensen